Ethical Economic and Financial Covenant
As Covenant people, we recognize that we are bound together as members of Christ’s body and are called to live, serve, and minister according to Scriptural and ethical principles. To that end, Provincial Economic Advisors of Provinces of the Global South offer this Covenant of ethical considerations in regards to economic and development practices. We commend it to the Provinces of the Global South for adoption and application at all levels of Provincial life.
• Because Jesus Christ is the Way; we covenant and commit together to the highest possible level of integrity in all our financial dealings.
• Because Jesus Christ is the Truth; we commit precise reporting that embodies fairness and transparency in all financial and economic affairs.
• Because Jesus Christ is the Life; we commit to structure our affairs for ongoing economic sustainability.
• Because we are called to serve; we commit to fair and reasonable standards of remuneration (including appreciation and appropriate support of non-
stipendiary ministries). These standards should be established and reviewed at Diocesan and Provincial levels.
• Because we are called to be stewards of the earth; we commit to use of resources in a responsible way that cares for the environment.
• Because we are mutually accountable; we commit to timely reporting of donations, development resources, and all other financial church affairs
• Because we are called to holiness; we commit to the highest ethical standards of behaviour in the way that we treat church members, those with whom we engage in commerce, and in our relations with other provinces of the Global South.
Global South Primates Meeting, Kigali, Rwanda
21 September 2006